View Single Post
Old November 28th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Contest Wait list

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 1:23:40 PM UTC-5, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 November 2018 13:49:38 UTC-7, wrote:
As a fairly new contest pilot but one that enjoys the entire sport.

It is interesting to me that Nephi OLC/XC Camp set for next June has a wait list and the Sr's is already has 39 pilots registered - yet Mifflin and Elmira have less then 10 total.

I have looked at the pilot survey and have chatted allot abut Soaring and the focus. Since I have experience in the Olympic movement, saw how it evolved and have no current/future desire to see it move further - I think Soaring as a sport could be at a cross roads.

Do we (all Soaring) put our effort/strategy into producing a World Champion or do we increase our population hoping that increase in numbers produces a World Champion. (or does a WC even matter?)

Just a thought as I entered my next years contests

WH

ps - I do not believe great Soaring geography is the key - I am on my 4th Sr's - the Soaring is not spectacular like UT - so I rule out geography IMHO

Comparing apples and oranges when looking at signups. The Nephi OLC events are a first signup, first served event *so* early signup is required to reserve a slot. The other SSA sanctioned meets follow this rule, from the 2018 SSA rulebook,

5.3.3 The Preferential Entry Deadline is 60 days prior to the first scheduled competition day.

So there is no incentive to signup early. Makes it tougher for organizers when it comes to resource planning especially tow planes.

IMHO very few competition pilots in the US have their focus on qualifying for and participating in World Championships.

My take away is different - UT is 8 months away - I think they sell out because it is a great place at the right time with a popular format, run well and Bruno does a fantastic job promoting it -

Seminole FL - is 5 months away - will be sold out by Christmas - also well organized, warm and promoted well for years. Right time / right audience.

In my opinion most working people will have their vacations pretty firm by Jan 1

So how do we get them to commit - so organizers can be successful

How do we get new XC ideas so people get more propensities to join the bigger Soaring community while they are employed or have non Soaring families.

WH