Old June 6th 04, 10:09 PM
John Galloway

For me six point harness is far preferable to a five
point one which would simply be impossible for long
flights. The borrowed Std Cirrus I fly at present
has a non-approved 6 point harness designed for race
car use that uses a 4 point buckle and no additional
attachment points. I think it is a little different
from that described in the earlier post.

The shoulder and lap straps are as normal except that
there is a strong metal ring attached to the top of
each lap strap about 3 inches lateral to the buckle.
The 4th and 5 straps are attached by metal clips under
the seat pan to the fuselage (not seat pan) mounted
attachment points also used for the lap straps. The
upper, business, end of the 2 thigh straps is a loop
not a buckle. The straps run forward and medially
under the seat pan for about 8 inches and emerge through
slit shaped cut outs in the seat pan under the inside
of each upper thigh - giving virtual attachment points
there. With only the laps straps buckled the left
thigh strap comes inside and over the thigh to the
metal ring over the top of the thigh, through it and
then turns upwards and inwards towards the top of the
buckle area. Then the metal tongue of the left left
shoulder strap is inserted throught the thigh strap
loop and into the buckle. Same on the right.

This arrangement pulls down on the lap strap assembly
from the top strap's tongue but the extra straps come
in at an angle from the side and do not cover the buckle.
When the buckle is undone the shoulder straps are
instantly free of the 4th and 5th straps which just
fall away through the metal loops on the lap straps.

When we first looked at the glider we did not understand
that the extra straps attached to the shoulder straps
and thought they were suppsed to attach to the lap
straps which would not have been easy to get out of
in a hurry. I only refitted the extra straps today
as a result of thinking about this thread and it seems
to work really well. I feel secured firmly in the
seat pan and can't slide forward. The lap straps are
held well down in place and at last I don't have to
feel squashed down by shoulder straps - which can be
safely left comfortable. I will be able to pee no
problem too.

I recall from attempts to get six point straps fitted
to a new glider about 3 years ago that the manufacturer's
view was that it was impossible for them as there were
no LBA approved 6 point straps. Damn shame.

John Galloway