Old May 13th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fowler flaps?

Complete and total waste of effort I would say. Fowler flaps provide
the same section cl increase as slotted flaps, from roughly 1.6 to 2.6.
The only difference is the fowler flap increases area somewhat. If
you work it out using the calculation to estimate stall speed and
factoring the increase in area or say 10%, the benefit of the increase
in area with fowler flaps extended will be tiny on an airplane that
already has generous wing area, maybe two knots. Not much benefit for a
whole lot of design, analysis and testing. They are more likely to
provide a useful benefit on a high performance airplane with small wings
that needs all the extra lift it can get because the landing energy is
way up there..

Just use a slotted flap on hinge arms. In fact, if you really want to
make changes to the flaps to get more lift, you will likely get more
benefit by making the slotted flap into double slotted type by adding a
fixed slat to the leading edge, than by building an elaborate fowler
track system.

John

jerry wass wrote:
Do the plans call for enlarging the horiz stabilizer as well--??

wrote:

TJ
A very good book "The Flower Flap". A engineering hand book, By Harland
Fowler.
It has 90 pages of information about the history and engineering
Info. about the Fowler Flap. A good book for the aircraft Designers
and Builders.
I have used it for many years.

Sold by Aircraft Design Inc. Was $42.00
www.aircraftdesigns.com
Listed under books and software.

Larry Fitzgerald

www.fitzair.net

TJ400 wrote:

I am presently in the process of converting a PA-22 to a Sportsman 2+2.
Plans call for new wings to be buillt from scratch and I am
considering the use of Fowler flaps rather than conventional for
greater lift, reduced stall speed, steeper landing approach and better
angle of attack/ visibility while landing. Can anyone suggest a link
or reference for plans or explanation of construction of such flaps?.
Have found little on construction techniques on the net to date.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. TJ