Old March 18th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Default Piper Pawnee flying characteristics

That is our normal transition..tail wheel checkouts in a Super Cub or
Scout..
and then on to the Pawnee. We have some ground taxi exercises.. some partial
power just to get the tail up and down on a 3500ft pave runway.. make two to
three runs... that is your "wheel landing" attitude picture..

Be careful on the partial power exercises.. to much power and you will be
flying... we tell our pilots.. if that happens.. go.. put in the rest of the
power and go.. we don't want them panicking trying to land again on the
remaining runway and end up in a heap when the pavement ends.

The insurance we have requires 10 solo flights before towing.. we have them
do the last 3 flights at limited power to simulate a climb out with a glider
on tow, 2200rpm works great on our 250HP Pawnee, at full power and 60KIAS we
get 1000fpm rate of climb with no tow. 2200rpm will get the "towing
attitude" and about 500fpm at 60KIAS.

Nose on the horizon, full power climb at 60KIAS with a two seat glider.

On the handling.. it's a TRUCK, maybe not the same response as the Cub, the
rudder is very effective.
But we love it.. it's a great work horse.. build slowly up to the cross wind
landings. I'll fly in winds now that I would not have 3 years ago. It's a
proficiency thing.. do not be afraid to say... "I'm not ready for that
wind".

Where are you?

BT

"Mike A" wrote in message

Sorry for the mess in the first message, this should look better:

In a couple of weeks I hope to transition from a 180 HP Super Cub to our
clubs only Piper Pawnee. Would just like a heads up from you guys on a
couple of things.

Are there specific things to look for?
How does she handle?
Any tips on flying her?
How about strong crosswinds?

Like I said just looking for a heads up...

Thank you
MA

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.