Old October 5th 15, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Auto-towing? Cost...about $1.50 per tow? Why is this launchingtechnique not more popular?

Well, I didn't mean to imply that I was putting down the CAP training as
outlined by Fred earlier. With all those cadets it can be beneficial
training to be an observer or radio operator or driver or wing runner
or... Doing any one of those jobs gives the participant a different
perspective on the entire operation plus it keeps everyone busy and
involved.

I would like to see another ground launch safari. With, say, three
gliders and six pilots, there would be three qualified individuals to
run the line and drive the tow vehicles and trailers and three to fly
the gliders straight out. Try for the same destinations - this is not a
contest, it's just for fun. Then switch off the next day and have a
ball. More folks would make for more fun!

On 10/5/2015 2:58 PM, Dave Springford wrote:
I agree with Dan, even a winch launch requires only 3 people
pilot
wing-runner
winch driver

And if everyone is trained to fly and run and drive the winch, well then you can fly all day.

--
Dan, 5J