Old May 4th 20, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 6:09:11 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I attended Dave Nadler's presentation at the 2020 SSA Convention about his bailout in Utah and its aftermath https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I3A3dqsu0&t=3s

It got me thinking about my own preparedness, and I have to admit that I am not carrying enough on my person if I ever "have to go for help." (As our ex-Air Force airport manager describes a bailout.)

I've been thinking about fishing/photographers vests with a lot of pockets, but the parachute and seat belt harness straps interfere with comfort and safety. Small kits like the SMAK PAK are a good start, but I'd like to carry more stuff, like a hat, spare glasses, water etc. I am thinking of an Air Force type flight suit with leg pockets, at the risk of being called a fighter jock wannabe.

Possibly a thin pocketed backpack that could fit between the 'chute and your body, if it could be made comfortable and not interfere with the seating position in the glider would work. But what to put in it and how to you pack it to avoid lumps and stuff digging into your kidneys?

Any ideas or suggestions? What works for you?

I've flown over lots of gnarly country over the years - both in South Africa and the USA. In many of these areas self-rescue by walking out is impossible and your only chance is to communicate with rescuers. That means having at least one and preferably two or three communications means secured to your person. For example, rescue beacon, cellphone and portable radio. An airband handheld enables communications with aircraft overhead and in many areas VHF amateur radio repeaters reach areas without cellphone coverage. Other than that, carry enough water to last you a day and a night.

Mike