Old May 6th 20, 05:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Bailout and survival kit

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 1:25:30 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Yep, caught that, got a chuckle as well....like "bucket of steam" or "left handed smoke shifter" back in Scouts....

No, I have minimum stuff when XC flying, then again, usually in cell range in the NE....

A typical adult needs a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated. That is going to be pretty tough to hang from your parachute. Emergency water packets are much smaller than this. The only alternative is to find ground water or collect rainfall. Finding a water supply in the desert will be pretty tough. A space blanket would come in handy for the later. Thus it is vital that you communicate your location for rescue. A satellite messenger (Inreach, SPOT or a sat phone) is your best bet, but an aviation radio can put you in contact with airliners (not so many these days). Fly in clothes that you can spend the night outdoors in (a chute canopy will come in handy for warmth). You may need to hike out yourself. Put topo maps and a compass on your smart phone and practice using them. Carry an aux battery for the phone (some mountain climbers on Mt. Hood lost their last contact with rescuers when the only phone's battery died - they died too and were never found). Your hat will probably be lost while bailing out: carry a skull cap to protect your head from sun and cold. Having a fire starter is also a good idea, both for warmth and signalling. A signal mirror is essential in contacting rescuers. Of course a good whistle will help them find you when they are closer.. Remember, you may be injured and cannot move into a more visible location.. I also carry a handheld radio and a good knife. I have survived some pretty miserable nights on mountains - you have to be prepared to make it thru with whatever you have on hand at the time.

Tom