Old July 27th 20, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default Scary story about landing on a Lake Tahoe golf course

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 9:01:28 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Charles Longley wrote on 7/26/2020 11:33 PM:
I would think land gear up. It might float indefinitely. Depends on how much foam/wood is in it. I would certainly try and get out as quick as I could.

I'm not sure the advice is in the ASW20 handbook, as I haven't read one for 30
years or so, but it is in my ASH26E handbook: water landings should be done with
the gear extended to reduce the tendency of the glider to dive into the water, and
to absorb the shock of hitting the bottom of the lake in shallow water.

It will also get rid of a lot of energy in a hurry so you are going more slowly.