Old December 8th 03, 07:08 PM
Jim H

"Gordon" wrote in message

For security reasons, Air Force One filed a flight plan identifying
itself as a a Gulfstream 5, a much smaller airplane.

Not only is this illegal - period - it is also unsafe to that aircraft and
others sharing the sky. If a developing situation required the air

controller
to order the "Gulfstream 5" to make radical flight manuevers to avoid

someone
else, the controller would be wrongly assuming that the a/c could react as

small, agile GS 5 and not a frickin Jumbo Jet. And what about separation
considerations, wingtip vortexes, jet wash, and a host of other reasons

why
claiming to be a different aircraft is just plain ignorant? When you are

in a
light a/c and a "heavy" is in nearby, the controller warns you of the
potential hazard. But here, the President's staff decided that such

safeties
were unnecessary and could be waived, because they said so.

How many other laws does does the administration consider "Optional"?

Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR Aircrew

Getting a bit wrapped around the axel are we when Pres Bush showed some
leadership...
In case you have never heard this before "Loose lips sink ships" or in this
case aircraft.

Heads of state traveling in secrecy isn't exactly something new...
I would reason it wasn't the first time and won't be the last time a head of
state (president/prime minister/king) is traveling into/over
hostile territory that secrecy would be maintained.

Jim