Old May 1st 20, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Wing wheel from Craggy Aero

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:20:25 PM UTC-7, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:38:39 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
I wanted to replace the Cobra wing wheel I had been using because 1) it goes with the ASH26e I have for sale and 2) the tire scrubs the tarmac as I go around turns, putting stress on the wing. I ordered the CA WingWheel from Craggy Aero because the wheel swivels with the direction of travel:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ground_handling.htm
And the length is adjustable which helps greatly for storage. It is also has a spring shock absorber that the Cobra wheel does not have. I tried it out today and towed my ASH31Mi (with the 21M tips) around the Richland, WA airport (KRLD). The wing wheel worked great and put no stress on the wing.. The Cobra wing wheel would bend inwards as the tire was dragged sideways in a turn - the CA wing wheel tracked perfectly and was always in a vertical position. The height of wheel was more than adequate to keep the wing tip above obstructions (taxiway markers and signs). This version also has improved straps over the earlier design. Fabrication of all components is excellent - no thin walled aluminum tubing, for example. The tire is not pneumatic, so it can't go flat. It is wide enough so it will not drop into pavement cracks. It is well worth the additional cost over the Cobra wing wheel - I was always holding my breath when I used it.

Tom

The best wheel I have had is the one from MM Fabrication. Very sturdy, well fitting and does not stress ailerons.

That wheel does not swivel, so it will suffer from the same scrubbing problem that the Cobra wheel has.