Old December 9th 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Question: Cylinder Repair/Overhaul vs. New Cylinders

Ebby: For a certified aircraft you'd probably get your money back on
resale. In your case I'd let the certified overhaul shop spec out the
cylinders to see how much wear has happened. They should steer you in
the right direction. My 1963 0200A engine had less than 700 hrs TT but
did an overhaul with new intake valves, guides and rings. Compression
was a little low in 2 cylinders and was "talked into it" by my
mechanic. Oil consumption was up to 1 qt every 4 hrs so paid around
$1,000 for the whole job. I'm not sure what new cylinders cost but if
less than $2500 total for the job maybe I would have gone that route.
My oil consumption after 30 hrs is still 1 qt every 4-5 hrs and hope it
will get better with more hrs. I hear people say 6-8 hrs per qt on new
cyclinders. You might consider just doing the high time cylinders only
if you want to save some money.

Larry