Old December 10th 05, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Question: Cylinder Repair/Overhaul vs. New Cylinders

"Ebby" wrote in message
Larry,

That's exactly the kind of anecdote I need to figure out what is "best".
I have already had the lower end completely overhauled by AEA. Very
satisfied and there was no question in my mind about having the overhaul
done. But with cylinders I hear they can be rebuilt. I guess what I am
wondering is the adds for $295 for an overhaul with the caviat about costs
for additional parts. So I can expect to pay considerable more than the
$295 as I would be getting new exhaust valves. I figure new cylinders for
my engine would be $800-1200 each if the rebuild is pushing that amount
then new sounds like the way to go but if typical rebuilts run $400-600
then rebuilts would be the way to go. I guess the best way to find out is
to send a cylinder to a shop and get an estimate. Thanks for your input.
Others?

--
John "Ebby" Ebensperger
Hatz Classic s/n37

I rebuilt 4 first run cylinders for the O-320 in my RV-6. I don't remember
the exact figures, but at the end of the day, I was surprised at how little
money I saved vs trading in the old cylinders and buying brand new ones.

KB