Old December 28th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning, rec.aviation.ifr, rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Northstar M3 & PC connection

Has anyone interfaced an M3 with a PC?

I have a Motion LS-800 running Jeppview Flitedeck. I had succefully
interfaced it with my previous aircraft that had a Trimble 2000
Approach. Trimble uses RS-232 w/ King aviation data format for its
moving map output. I used an USB RS-232 coverter and Flitedeck was
able to receive flight plan data & GPS position just fine.

Now, I am installing a Northstar M3 to my new aircraft. Flitedeck
does have M3 in its setup GPS selections, so I assume they should be
able to talk in software if hardware connection is good. Unlike
Trimble, M3 uses RS-485 for moving map output. After google USB
RS-485, I found a converter from coolgear.com/usbgear.com (model USB-
COM-I) for about $50.

I wired the USB/RS-485 converter to M3 by connecting "Data-A", "Data-
B" & "Ground" (P15 pins 6, 11 & 5 on M3 and pins 1, 2 & 5 on USB-COM-
I). I then turned on M3 in demo mode. In M3's serial data spec (Doc
No. GM342), it says on page 2 that in "flight sim" mode baud rate is
9600. I then run Hyper Terminal on LS-800 w/ 9600 baud on COM-5 which
is assigned to USB-COM-I, but received no data from M3.

After that, I tried Hyper Terminal on 1200 baud, but no joy. I then
run Flitedeck Setup to test for GPS multiple times w/ different
setting. Still no joy.

Does M3 output its moving map data in demo mode?

Is M3 demo & flgiht sim the same mode?

Any comment on what else to try?