Old January 30th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Strange loss

Sorry for your loss Denny.
Jim

"Denny" wrote in message
ups.com...
We lost one off our field last Sunday... Mike is a nice guy who was
regarded as a good pilot, calm, quiet, and safety concious... He has
an older Skyhawk with the Continental 6 banger... He went up to
Harrison, 80D, and was seen landing... No one heard or noticed anything
after that... Later a car going down the road noticed the tail sticking
out of the woods next to the runway... The bird had gone in hard...
The engine was essential ripped off and the cabin area crushed... The
only metal on the bird not bent or crushed was the spring landing
gear...

The only facts we have is that there was a crosswind, brisk but not
extreme... Mike had landed there many times in the past... The initial
report is listed for the 23rd Jan...
It was a real punch in the gut when I was told...

denny