Old January 29th 04, 06:49 PM

(Ross Oliver) wrote in message ...
Over the years, a lot of people have recommended this procedure (mostly
CFIs), but no one has explained to my satisfaction WHY this would work.
Why are you leaning the mixture at exactly the time an extra-rich
mixture is needed? After all, that is why we prime and crank with the
throttle mostly closed. I have come to believe it is one of those old
wives tails that CFIs propagate to make it appear to students that they
are "fixing" a bad start.

Mainly because if the electric boost pump is running and the mixture
control is in any position other than idle cut-off fuel is being
sprayed into the engine through the injection system.

You want to add slightly more than enuff fuel to get the engine
started, then shut off the flow of fuel (mixure to ICO), it'll lean
slightly when cranking (and after starting, with the mixture back, no
more is being added), reach the proper ratio to start-and-run, then
shove the mixture ahead to add metered fuel to keep it running.

No OWT's-just the operating parameters/limitations of "modern"
continuous-flow fuel injection.

TC