Old October 9th 07, 10:46 PM posted to sci.physics,rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Airplane Pilot's As Physicists

On Oct 9, 4:35 pm, "Gatt" wrote:
"Le Chaud Lapin" wrote in oglegroups.com...

If you read carefully, the premise of what they are saying is that, if
you have, for example, a sealed jar with air in it, you are permitted
to consider the air on the _inside_ of the jar,

WTF is he talking about? Nobody said anything about air -inside- of a wing.

On Oct 9, 1:00 pm, Phil wrote:
Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
If you
don't like the concept that the top of the wing is being sucked upward
by that lower pressure

It is not a matter of whether I like it or not. It is something that
simply does not happen. There is no sucking force.

I think you mis-understood me here. When I say the air below the line
is pressing upward, I am not referring to the air pressing upward on
the bottom of the wing. I am referring to the air _inside_ the wing
pressing upward on the underside of the top surface of the wing. The
air above the wing top surface has lower than normal pressure. The
air inside the wing has normal pressure. So it presses upward on the
top surface of the wing. This is lift generated by the top surface of
the wing.

Phil

-Le Chaud Lapin-