Old May 25th 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default ASH25 out to kill you?

On Sat, 25 May 2019 05:51:58 -0700, ripacheco1967 wrote:

I know I’m just learning about all this but reading this about the ASH
25 really made me pause.
(I have a lot of ours on GA aircraft and moving into gliders.)

http://gliding.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/

Flying%20ASH25%20by%20Stan%20Nelson.pdf

Thanks for posting that. I only fly a (15m) Standard Libelle, but learned
stuff from the careful explanations in this piece. I've saved a copy for
future reference.

Is this common place in the glider world?

I think its a logical extension of experience flying powered aircraft,
simply because all composite gliders have much less drag, much longer
spans and higher aspect ratios. As a result, they may accelerate faster
in a dive, exhibit much stronger adverse yaw effects, and may flutter
more easily than a typical powered plane that operated in a similar speed
range.

But what do I know? I've only flown two powered plane, my club's Scheibe
SF-25 TMG and a DH Tiger Moth, since I've been a glider pilot. I found
both very easy to fly, especially the Tiger.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org