Old January 14th 05, 11:28 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:01:29 -0500, T o d d P a t t i s t
wrote:

If it's tail low, the tail hits first. A bit
higher it's 3-pt. Higher still, it's a wheel landing.

That's right. And because it could be any of the three is why I'm
relaxed about the possibility that my wheelie might turn out to be a
three-pointer.

I think that Old Shy & Bashful is right about carrying too much speed
onto the runway. I was taught to fly the Cub at 45 mph on final. Now
it's more like 60, but I am always conscious that the plane is hot and
that I might want to slip some of it off. The extra 15 mph is good for
wheelies, crosswinds, and Sally, who expects me to call when the plane
is tied down.

I would still recommend 45 mph to a newbie in the Cub. Dunno about the
Decathalon.

Incidentally, Cub Crafters is going to make a sorta J-3 starting this
year. It's really a lightweight PA-18, but it will come in under 1320
pounds, so can be flown under Sport Pilot rules.

At the same time, CC is starting to manufacture its PA-18 Top Cub
under an FAA type certificate. Previous Top Cubs were ostensibly
"assembled from parts".

The Champ is again in production, and Taylorcraft promises to follow
suit, meaning that all three great trainers of the 1940s/1950s will
again be available new, if at a somewhat higher price

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com