Old August 2nd 16, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default Oldest Club In The USA?

On Wednesday, October 4, 2000 at 8:50:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
In the process of compiling the history of my club (Adrian Soaring
Club) originally the "Toledo Glider Club", I was told that we might be
the oldest or one of the oldest "continuously operating glider clubs"
in the country. We were incorporated on April 14th, 1934.
May I have a response from any club older than ours?
Joe Volmar

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

I just ran across this thread while doing some research related to my club - Aero Club Albatross. We are definitely older since we were established in 1929, which is well documented in articles of incorporation and other material.

When I was looking through the oldest online Soaring Magazines, December 1938 has a list of all active US clubs at that point. ACA is on the list, as is Toledo. So is Associated Glider Clubs of California, MIT, and a few other recognizable names. So, these are other candidates. Also, many locations (Elmira, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.) have a bunch of clubs, which may have merged or renamed.

So, which current club can trace it's roots to 1929 or earlier? It needs to be "continuously operating" (with the obvious exception of the WWII years). Anyone else staking a claim?

Erik Mann