Old May 11th 05, 04:03 AM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Kyle Boatright asks:

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used?

In my COZY MKIV, 40 ft., I think. Wingspan is 29.5 ft. or so. There
were trees/bushes on one side of the runway, and I ticked a couple of
bushes with one wingtip while turning around at the runway's end. I've
landed on 40 ft. wide runways with nothing on either side many times,
with no issues, with up to 10 kt. crosswinds.

.....At what runway width are you comfortable?

I think I'd be OK with 25-30 ft, depending upon how much crosswind there
was, and how long the runway was for takeoff. If there's no flora off
to the sides, then even narrower would be OK - keeping the plane within
5 ft. of the centerline isn't really a problem, and the gear width is
about 6-7 ft. or so.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/