Old May 26th 07, 06:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ray O'Hara[_2_]

Default Rotary engines

"muff528" wrote in message

"Ray O'Hara" wrote in message
news

"muff528" wrote in message
newsKM5i.324$9G3.62@trnddc07...

"Don Pyeatt" wrote in message
I believe some of these photos are of military surplus at the end of
WWI.

Don

These look like radials.........Rotaries go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! ....and

probably
hold oil better. :-)

rotaries sprayed oil everywhere, its why they had the cowls open at the
bottom to let it drip out

they look like rotaries,

Yes!.......I remembered that these engines (where the crank is bolted to

the
airplane
and the prop is bolted to the engine case) were called rotaries
........about 1 second
after I hit the "send" button, exposing my ignorance on this subject to

all
of creation
for all of eternity. I was hoping noone would notice ;-)
Of course, because of my youth, I automatically think of the Wankel-types
when I
hear a reference to "rotary engine".

TP

needless to say they were very torquy.