Old February 1st 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hard Deck

as one of the guys in the report #7 - I believe I had given up on the task completely - way before the crash. I know for sure, points were not in my mind at all, promise.

I am not opposed the the Hard Deck - it will have no affect on my flying (my own is higher than 500 ft). I am just not so sure that most low thermaling happens because a person feels like they can continue lower and still be in the race.

We get together once a week here in NYC for Beer Night - "Hard Deck" was the topic of last evening - there wasn't much consensus but there was allot of conversation.

It seems to fall into 2 camps ... "Big Brother" vs "I am just keeping you safe from your own temptations" - both seem pretty reasonable.

An interesting point was "the hard deck would make me make decisions higher then I normally do" - at least for him, he thought it would help - even make him faster.

Feeling the obligation to explain yourself to your peers/mentor/family....... that's motivation enough for me - been there done that - goig to try not to do that nay more.

WH