Old July 20th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Default quick question -

Bertie the Bunyip wrote in
:

george wrote in
:

On Jul 20, 1:31 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote
:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:01:17 -0700 (PDT), george
wrote:

It was a J2.
PA18s have electrics AFAIK they have electric start.
Sheer luxury

The J-2s, J-3s, and PA-11s were all built without electrics. The
PA-18 was built in a variety of styles, with engines ranging from
95 hp to 150 hp. The early models had no flaps and a single wing
tank. Oddly enough, the best book on Piper aircraft (by Roger
Peperell) doesn't address the subject of electrics. Peter Bowers's
book says that as first offered, the "standard" version of the
PA-18 had no electrics, while the "deluxe" had a starter, battery,
etc. Flaps were added in the PA-18-125.

The early Super Cubs were less than $3000. I am just getting
acquainted with a Legend Cub, which is essentially a PA-11 with
electrics added, two wing tanks, no flaps, a cockpit three inches
wider than the original, and doors/windows on both sides. Fully
kitted out, it goes for about $130,000.

About half that increase is simply the devaluation of the dollar
since 1945. The other Cub I fly is a 1946 J-3 that went out the
door for $2300 in August that year. We are required to carry
$60,000 hull insurance in order to rent it. Its actual resale value
is probably something in the neighborhood of $40,000.

Even though the PA 18 is seen as a cub, it's really quite a different
airplane. The Cubs through the 11 were really parasol aircraft with
an encolsure added, wheras the Supercub was a true cabin aricraft. ..

Yup. That was my bad I just posted without looking up the details in
the log book.

Oh i wasn't correcting, just pointing out some cub trivia.

However you want to see my handsome youthful (1966) features take a
look at
http://www.koekejunction.hnpl.net/Pages/Flying.htm

Rallye.
Shudder!
?I flew one of those that was lucky to do 300 fpm.

You didn't fly the right Rallye!

The Rallye product line light air frames ran the gamut from a 2 seat 100 HP
Rolls-Royce engine through a 4 seat 180 HP Lycoming O-360. The more common
2 seaters, and the Koliber clone, have 150 HP engines. The 4 seat heavy
air frames, which included 2 hard points on each wing, were either the 220
HP Franklin engine or the 235 HP Lycoming 0-545. With either of the heavy
air frames, you get a pretty good climb rate.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)