Old April 13th 20, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Battery switching without tears

On Monday, April 13, 2020 at 4:21:35 AM UTC-7, Mike N. wrote:
I see this issue with my S80 in my Ventus Ct with two batteries.

The S80 powers my Flarm as designed.

When switching between my main battery and second battery I often, but not always have the Flarm power cycle and sometimes the S80 as well.

I too was thinking about sourcing a make before break switch but I am going to put in a capacitor.

I have an S10 with an internal battery that is no problem, But I also use XCSoar on a OpenVario computer that I built from a kit. That has a big problem, as I switch batteries a couple of times a flight to keep the main battery as charged as possible for starts. So a year ago, I got with an electronics guy at our local supplier and he recommended a properly sized Capacitor and it has worked great. I don't remember the size or model, but it is hidden in the panel.

I researched true make before break switchs and they tended to be large and expensive. Not all switches that say the make before break really do what they advertise.

Bruce

Bruce