Old December 13th 03, 03:29 AM
Stephen Harding

MLenoch wrote:

Just a factual question: was there ever a statistic of the number of deaths via
fire bombing vs. the nuclear bombs? Just wondering. Thx,

Yes there have been some such stats, but they vary a bit.

There is the issue of how many people died during the explosion
versus days/weeks/months after.

Firebombing (or any sort of bombing) can produce lingering, or
drawn out deaths, but the nuclear bombing this was more pronounced.

I've read that some "counters" in Japan continue to add to the death
toll of Hiroshima/Nagasaki as people who were there and survived that
day finally start to die off. Basically *everyone* in those towns
becomes part of the death toll eventually for these types of counters.

The numbers I've come across, with some [maybe] small percent variation
due to faulty memory, are something like this:

Hiroshima: 85,000 (I've read stats going up over 100,000)
Nagasaki : 65,000 (max I've seen is around 80,000)

One night firebombing of Tokyo by LeMay and company: 120,000-150,000.

SMH