Old July 27th 17, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Lumilor

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 4:31:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
According to their FAQ page, it runs on 100 Volts to 200 Volts, Alternating Current only. If using batteries to provide AC power through an inverter, a "small" inverter will power 1 square foot (.0929 sq Meter). A "large" inverter will power 2 square feet (.186 sq meter). Current draw is 1 milliamp per square inch, so 1 square foot is 144 milliamps.

Doesn't sound practical. Intense flashing LEDs are a better bet. At least they won't require an extension cord.

Doesn't sound practical.

Well - not so fast! Maybe it is not practical on our gliders but how about turning the backs of our trailers into one 'big-ass' stop light?
Could a 12VDC fed inverter provide enough AC juice to light up a 1m^2 surface? 1m^2 = 1,550in^2, so according to the above, one would need 1,550mA or 1.55A. That doesn't sound too bad.
Opinions?

Uli
'AS'