Old October 24th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Whats in YOUR toolbox?

Tony Verhulst wrote:
Travis Beach wrote:
Just got my first sailplane...what kind of tools do
you carry everytime you go to the airfield to fly?
Whats in your toolbox?

Only 2 items - a can of WD-40 and a roll of duct tape. If something
moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If some thing doesn't move and
should, use the WD-40.

WD-40 does dry out and get sticky as time passes. This can affect
delicate mechanical bits.

In the model plane game we've found that spraying a clockwork timer with
WD-40 to wash out grit, e.g. after the model d/ts on a ploughed field,
is fine for the rest of the day. However, the timer is likely to be
unreliable after enough time has passed for the WD-40's solvent to
evaporate.

I'm not sure how relevant this is to general glider maintenance, but it
would pay to be careful what you use WD-40 on and/or carefully clean it
off once the part is unfrozen. Then lube carefully with the correct
lubricant. Never let the stuff near your instrument panel.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK