Old July 12th 11, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default tow rope brake practice crash, what can we learn...

*Did they spin in? *Did they land under control in an
unlandable area? *Something else?
Andy

Yes Andy, the article said that Puchacz was in a spin.
I think that from towing attitude quick push stick forward with wings
level into the headwind would get speed faster plus 10-20 mph before
starting 180 downwind turn, that would prevent the spin.
Starting 180 downwind turn with high nose attitude at the moment of
release from tow may cause a rapid loss of airspeed and spin. There is
no problem at higher altitude, there is a big problem at low altitude.
Puchacz has a momentum, demands respect or it will bite.
Some pilots survived collisions with ground in full spin, did not
survive when rotation was stopped close to the ground.