Old May 18th 15, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sacrificial layer for gear-up protection.

On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 12:58:45 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Also a pilot that does not have the skills to address the emergency at low altitude has the option of just landing gear up. I am of the belief knowledge is good, what you do with it is TOTALLY up to you.

The pilot also has to realize that he doesn't have the skills to handle the situation and ignore the radio call, something that may not be obvious on short final after after a 5+ hour flight, possibly while suffering from dehydration, mild hypoxia, hunger, and/or needing to pee. I'm always surprised at the number of pilots in these threads that have apparently never made a single mistake in their flying careers, I wish I was that perfect...