Old July 12th 03, 01:36 PM
C J Campbell

Mine was a royal PITA. The oral was not too bad, but the weather was
terrible with moderate to severe turbulence. I was sick as a dog with a high
fever and had little or no sleep. I could not re-schedule as the school
(AllATPs) policy was to simply kick anybody out who refused to take a check
ride for any reason. I had just taken my CFI/MEI ride the day before and was
still tired from that. I was in an unfamiliar area at a huge class C airport
and had never flown an approach at any of the local airports before. I had
trouble even finding my airplane. I busted the ride, of course, completely
unable to maintain heading or altitude for even a few seconds. The retake
the next afternoon was the exact same circumstances, except I was feeling
even worse, but somehow I squeaked through.

I would never allow one of my students to take a check ride under similar
conditions. Nothing against AllATPs, but their idiotic check ride policy is
likely to get somebody killed.

Moral of the story -- don't fly when you should not. I think my judgment
must have been at an absolute low ebb in those days.