Old November 16th 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default GDL 90 on XCSoar

On 11/10/20 5:57 PM, Davis Chappins wrote:
I'm looking for people to test my translation script from GDL 90 to NMEA so that a Stratux (1090/978 dual band ADS-B in) can connect and display traffic on XCSoar. If there's interest I can post some instructions. You need some experience with configuring XCSoar devices and placing a file on the android from a computer via USB.

I got tired of waiting for XCSoar to natively accept GDL 90 and also Stratux to output NMEA. The script is written in python and runs on the android device connected to the Stratux wifi. I also added in some text to speech to announce traffic when it's near.

In addition, I'm looking to test with other GDL 90 ADS-B receivers. I'm especially curious on the "Foreflight required" devices like Scout/Sentry Mini/Sentry. If anyone has one I can borrow, I'll gladly pay shipping.

Is there any interest?

OK, I tested it at the airport today and would call it a success. From
my hangar door, immediately after starting XCSoar, I had a couple of
ADS-B targets displayed on my Android phone.

I placed the Stratux in the Stemme via suction cups on the inside of the
canopy and towed the glider to the assembly area. While I was
assembling one wing, I heard a voice say, "Traffic! 12 o'clock 700 feet
high.", or something very similar. The aircraft in question had just
taken off. I also saw other aircraft at greater distances on the XCSoar
map screen.

That was enough for me and, to save my phone battery, I terminated
XCSoar. When I went to the cockpit to turn the Stratux off, I found
that it had fallen off the canopy and was laying in the foot well.
Pretty good performance, I'd say.

--
Dan
5J