Old March 10th 19, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default TOW PLANE Accident

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 1:37:18 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 8:24:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I can assure you that not all kiting incidents are slowly developing situations. I've been there at just above 300 feet when in the blink of an eye you find yourself nose down ***before you could even think of releasing***.

[emphasis added]

Right. So after all the brouhaha and threats to write the FAA about our equipment, it turns out that in at least one of the events that got you goin', you say the hook/release doesn't matter because you didn't even have a chance to respond. Would you care to clarify?

Btw, how long was your rope?

T8

First of all I do not make threats, I make promises.

"Our equipment?" If YOUR equipment is such that it could (and has) lead to the death of a tow pilot I have a right then to express my learned opinion, especially as one who has experience the situation.

Where did I say the "hook/release doesn't matter?" THAT was YOUR characterization of my words. What I said was that "in the blink of an eye you find yourself nose down before you could even think of releasing." This point is important in that every report by the NTSB I have read seems to fault the tow pilot for not releasing early enough. The fact that these situation can and do occur in the wink of an eye does not dismiss the fact that the tow pilot should have a system that functions in the seconds after the occurance allowing for an unquestioned release and an opportunity to recover before impacting the ground. The Schweizer hook with a release down on the floor of the Pawnee as I have pointed out is well documented with regards to not functioning under the pressure exerted by a suddenly kiting glider.

Any first year engineering student has heard the term "form follows function." The form of this system fails to function under the conditions in which it must function and therefore the form must be changed, reengineered or replaced.

Any first year engineering student has heard the term "mechanical advantage.." The requirement for a 5-1 release handle ratio is obviously inadequate to overcome the pressures exerted on the Schweizer hook when the glider kites suddenly and yet this requirement seems to persist.

The tow pilot who lost is life in the incident at Skyline I understand had a Tost system with a guillotine. I have been informed that even these systems can fail although I understand there is no pressure on the release. I have sent an email to the NTSB regarding this incident asking "where was the release?" IF it was down on the floor he may not have been able to grasp the handle. In short, every known design flaw in these systems needs to be recognized and redesigned.

As for "how long was my rope?" I made my ropes longer than 200 feet, usually 220 to 230 so we could repair the ends and get a few more tows on the rope. I meticulously inspected the rope each morning and would do so throughout the day as opportunity permitted. The rest of the time one must count on the individual hooking up the glider to adequately inspect the rope for knots and weak areas. The rope in this incident would have been 200 feet or more. I would keep any rope shorter than 200 for tow outs on retrieves which were generally tows for highly experienced pilots. I took my responsibilities as a tow pilot very seriously.

The incident in question at Skyline points out that even instructors can't be trusted to always do things right.

Your comments indicate to me that you are not or never have been a tow pilot. Am I right?

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
7000 tows