Old October 1st 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Compass overhaul dream

Peter R. wrote:
This model of compasses is painted black and, as you know, mounted on
top of the glare shield right in the direct sunlight. At the very least
wouldn't it be healthier for the unit if it were painted white?

It might be better for the compass but possibly not so good for you.
Eventually you'll hit the right combination of heading and time-of-day
that will make the sun reflect off of that white compass and right into
your eyes. (Another way to experience this is to drive a car whose wiper
arms were originally painted black, but have weathered to expose bright
metal underneath. Eventually you'll blind yourself but good. I found
that having to re-apply a couple of coats of rattle-can black once a
year was a small price to pay.)

Disclaimer: This is based on experience with ground vehicles and
equipment. I don't have an A&P; I don't even have a TG&Y. Your
mileage may vary.

Matt Roberds