Old March 25th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Troubleshooting the Comanche fuel system

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 00:11:41 +0100, kontiki
wrote:
I think his problem is either a clogged
tank vent (one time a mud dauber made a nest in my right tip vent) or
possible fuel line blockage.

I was out at the airport this morning. We blew some compressed air in each
of the tank vents (from below the wing) to see if the air would circulate
up to the fuel cells. With the fuel caps removed, looking down in the tank
we could see air coming up in three of the fuel tanks, but nothing
happened when air was blown in the tank vent on the left aux tank. With
the left aux tank it sounded like air leaked out inside the wing.

This seems to indicate that the tank vent on the left aux tank is clogged.
However, according to my notes from the flights where the problem occured,
the problem happened twice with the fuel selector on right aux and once
with the fuel selector on left aux. My friend thinks I may have gotten
that wrong. Can't rule it out but it seems strange.

I didn't get to make a test flight today to see if I could reproduce the
problem. We'll start by removing the left aux tank some time next week to
see if the tank vent is indeed clogged.

/Thomas