Old February 4th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Can a Plane on a Treadmill Take Off?

If the treadmill is stationary and the belt speed is equal
to the required take-off speed, the airplane will have zero
airspeed if it is "moving" in relation to the belt, the
airplane is moving, the prop has thrust and is balancing the
rearward movement of the belt. The tires are rolling, but
the airplane is stationary and there is no airspeed or lift.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
| Taxi is just nomenclature for the airplane moving along
the ground.
| "Takeoff run" would be more correct I guess, but in this
case things
| are so weird, as it is ambiguous whether the plane is
going to takeoff