Old September 18th 03, 10:33 PM
Ed Rasimus

Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
"José Herculano" wrote:

Maximum I read regarding the Phantom was a guy in Vietnam pulling 14 G to
get an ass-SAM divergence. The bird held and landed.

I know there were a couple of cases in Vietnam where F-4s made hard
enough turns to rip the ECM pods off...

Gotta wonder about that, since ECM pods were routinely carried in the
Sparrow missile wells. Can't imagine a situation in which the pods
suspension gear would fail. Don't say it couldn't, simply that I doubt
it.

In 250 combat missions, 150 over NVN where high threat evasions were
most likely, I never, not even once, heard of a structural failure nor
of an inadvertent separation of any piece of equipment off an
aircraft. I'm not saying it couldn't have, simply that I doubt it.

YMMV.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (ret)
***"When Thunder Rolled: