Old December 8th 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

Default What First Glider to own?

I'll put in a good word for the Grob 102 STD III.

A few negative comments were made about it's rigging and control
forces and I dispute both those claims.

Control forces are light and harmonious, I routinely fly with my hand
half way down the sitck, not needing all of the leverage. Performance
is moderate but comparable to a std cirrus. It is a very well behaved
glider, with good stall characteristics, so you can thermal quite
agressively without worry about spins.

Rigging is reputed to be hard, but is not. The tricks are different
than a LG/ASW/Discus though. The wings are somewhat heavy, but not
extreme. I do use a wing dolly to rig and it takes 15 mins to put the
wings and tail on. I bought my Grob at Sterling and the previous
owner gave me a rigging lesson. It was easy from there on.

On the general suggestions:
1) Do not buy an inactive glider. There might be all kinds of
problems and being a new owner will be hard.
2) Do not buy a bad trailer. This means one that is non road worthy,
or one that makes rigging difficult.
3) Buy a glider that is easy and convient to operate. Even if the
condition or performance is worse that the other option. People who
have to struggle to rig or fly sit on the ground a lot.

Todd Smith
3S