Old July 19th 17, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Flap performance

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 7:32:01 PM UTC+3, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le mercredi 19 juillet 2017 18:10:25 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:

My question really was: how does it fly in neutral flaps versus a Discus. I'm not suggesting that I would fly without the flaps. The question is, if I haven't mastered the ship, and the use of flaps am I actually going to be worse off than in a non-flapped ship. I'm looking at the amount that I fly and realistically assessing that I'll likely never master the ship the way a serious competition pilot would. If that's the case, would I actually be worse off in a flapped ship.

I have been flying as instructor in a group where we were doing ab-initio training on a Janus B. Students were told to leave the flaps alone and in neutral position until post-solo training, and that worked pretty well.

I've taken a fair number of first timers (or power transition pilots) in a Janus A. I always put it into +6 and left it there for them. Calmed it down a lot and made it act about like a Grob.