Old July 29th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Placement of Mechanical Vario in Panel?

Its an interesting question: its made me think about why I like my
current panel so much. I'll be interested to hear what experienced
racing pilots like and why.

As an occasional racing pilot, here is my take:

The majority of panels in racing gliders around here have airspeed and
vario at the top with flight computer, altimeter and second vario
below.

My current panel has ASI at top left with two smaller electric varios
(flight computer output and electric backup) at top right and the
flight computer centered below these with altimeter at bottom left.

I've not used mechanical varios now for ten years, preferring a second
electric audio with stand-alone backup battery. Try flying cross-
country without an audio vario and you'll see what I mean!

I get nervous flying with pilots who have cockpits bristling with
mechanical varios and PDAs - you know they're going to be spending a
lot of time looking at those instead of watching where they're
flying. Kind of like the Hummer driver I saw recently whack into the
back of a stationary car at a traffic light because they were busy
dialing their cell phone.

Mike