Old November 18th 05, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

: For me, won't take a chance if there is known icing. Not worth it. Just
: like anything else we do, there is a risk of the unknown, but for me, if
: there is ice reported I simply won't go.

As someone else mentioned, icing airmets are present for large sections of the
country for large portions of the year. Given the litigious society we're in and the
unknown of icing, SCARE-MET zulu is issued if the conditions are possibly favorable
for icing. It is sometimes possible to fly safely in such conditions if one knows
what they're doing. It's also quite possible to be really stupid and/or ignorant
about it and get into big trouble.

Certainly nobody should fault you for a conservative attitude like that. If
they are, they're an arrogant ass. Icing is nothing to mess around with for real.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *