Old January 13th 07, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Default Libelle Camelbak stowage

jcarlyle wrote:
I put the Camelbak just in back of my head, in front of the spars,
wrapping its harness around the spar safety pins to keep it secure.
Nothing else is there except for the battery, so there's no need to
fret about fouling flight controls.

My Camelbak will indeed leak if the tube isn't kept nearly horizontal.
When I put it in the plane I route the tube outside the cockpit, and
after I'm in I route it over my shoulder and then under my shoulder
harness. Once (but only once) I got out and left the tube dangling on
the seat. I discovered after I'd gotten in again that it takes a long
time for your pants and underpants to dry out... grin

-John

Martin Gregorie wrote:

Ouch. But, surely that means putting the Camelbak through the hatch
behind the spars? That makes my teeth itch: there are far too many
control runs back there for it to get tangled up with.

(from another message)

Is there an issue with the Camelbak dribbling down your neck or on your
pants (if you leave the tube dangling) if its behind your head?

Also not applicable to Libelle as I fly a Std. Cirrus.

My solution was to make up a carbon fibre plate that holds my radio speaker, and
keeps stuff on the shelf behind my head. I put my bag behind this but offset so
that in the event of large decelleration forces being applied the CG of the bag
will be on the port side of the plate. Theory is that any liquid filled
projectile will pass a centimetre or so to the left of my ear.

Strangely my cheap Raleigh cycling bag does not leak with the tube significantly
lower than the bag.