Old August 4th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sarah Anderson[_2_]

Default Leading Turns With Rudder

Maybe so, maybe so... There is a mysterious figure, left power CFI flying for soaring who
may or may not corporally exist:

http://www.pilotpsy.com/index.html

Sarah

user wrote:
He says... from the lotus position, index finger on thumb, palms turned
upward, and fingers spread. Be the glider. Hmmmmmmmmmm.... Hmmmmmmmmm....

Maybe someday I'll reach that plane (pun intended). In the meantime, the
best I can do is manipulate the controls to keep the string straight and the
speed within a knot or two of where I think it should be. Beep, beep,
beep... Hmmm... Now where did I leave my copy of The Zen of Gliding?

:-)

"noel.wade" wrote in message
I probably shouldn't leap back into this mess, but let me just point
out one more thing:

People tend to think about stick movements and pedal movements when
they talk about "coordinated" flying.

But the truth of the matter is that the airplane doesn't CARE what
goes on in the cockpit. It cares about how the air flows over the
craft and the control surfaces.

"Flying coordinated" means making WHATEVER control inputs are
required, in WHATEVER sequence necessary, to keep the airflow as
orderly and efficient as possible.

IMHO the best pilots are the ones who "detach" themselves and shift
their Point Of View to that of the aircraft itself. They aren't
thinking about the flight in terms of how they perceive it as an
occupant from their particular seating position or their control
stick. Thinking in terms of the aircraft and the air around it is
infinitely better than trying to act as a manipulator of levers and
pulleys inside a tube.

--Noel