Old February 10th 12, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

Default AH and minimum equip list

Some U.S. glider type certificates have pretty sparse minimum
equipment lists. The 1-23 only specifies an altimeter and shoulder
harness. Some type certificates get ridiculous, going to the extent of
stating make and model of instruments. I've never bothered delving
into the FAR's regarding equipment as the Transport Canada regulations
give me enough of a headache, but I'd be surprised if they didn't also
require ASI, Alt. and compass as required for day VFR flight.

This part of the CAR's has always baffled me:

"522.1303 Flight and Navigation Instruments

The following are required flight and navigation instruments:

(a) For all gliders:

(1) an air-speed indicator;

(2) an altimeter.

(b) For Powered Gliders. In addition to the instruments required in
522.1303(a):

(1) a magnetic direction indicator.

(c) For Gliders of Category A. In addition to the instruments required
in 522.1303(a) and (b):

(1) an accelerometer capable of retaining maximum and minimum values
of acceleration for any selected period of flight.

(d) For gliders equipped for water ballast. In addition to the
instruments required in 522.1303(a), (b) and (c).
(amended 2007/07/16)

(1) An outside air temperature gauge."

So, pure gliders don't need a magnetic compass right? Well:

"Gliders - Day VFR

605.21 No person shall operate a glider in day VFR flight unless it is
equipped with

(a) an altimeter;

(b) an airspeed indicator;

(c) a magnetic compass or a magnetic direction indicator; and

(d) subject to subsections 601.08(2) and 601.09(2), a
radiocommunication system adequate to permit two-way communication on
the appropriate frequency when the glider is operated within

(i) Class C or Class D airspace,

(ii) an MF area, unless the aircraft is operated pursuant to
subsection 602.97(3), or

(iii) the ADIZ. "

WHY don't they just put the compass requirement in the first part too?

As to the original post, if you have a choice with a minimum equipment
list (and aren't bound by a manufacturer's type certificate) it makes
sense to make it as minimum as possible. Just enough to satisfy the
bare legal requirements. Then you can go ahead and install anything
you want in addition to those things so long as you have the room and
payload for them.

On Feb 9, 7:14*pm, "C-FFKQ (42)" wrote:
Interesting that Steve would relate that some gliders are only required to have an ASI...
In Canada, the regulations require ASI, Alt and Compass... possibly a two-way radio (depending on the airspace).
There's a lot of overlap between Canadian and U.S. regs; that's an odd deviation.