Old September 22nd 04, 09:34 PM
B2431

From: Jack Yeazel
Date: 9/22/2004 8:03 AM Central Daylight Time

Bob Noel wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Eunometic,

-It would be independent of an expensive satelite constellation.

No. It needs initial position information.

It most definitely can be independent. The initial position does not
have to be determined by a sat system.

OK, but then by what??
--
Jack

The various INS systems I worked on in the Air Farce could be
updated/initialized manually. There is a memory that would keep the location
and direction information at time of power off. The older systems I worked on
had magnetic core memory.

The INS can determine true north all by itself, but uses compass information to
give it an approximation to speed this process.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired