Old December 4th 03, 02:26 PM
Peter R.

Koopas Ly ) wrote:

snip
The only time that fuel is set to one particular tank is on the
ground. I've never used fuel from only one tank in flight. Why would
someone do that?

The C172 (at least the more current model years with which I am familiar)
does not draw fuel from both tanks evenly when the selector knob is set to
"Both." The reasons for this anomaly are numerous.

This unequal fuel draw tends to be more noticeable on longer XC flights
where one tank could potentially be five-to-eight gallons lower per hour
when compared to the other. Unequal fuel load translates to unequal
weight distribution.

Therefore, on these longer flights and only during level cruise, the pilot
should be using the Left/Right selector knob to even out this imbalance. I
find myself adjusting the selector knob once every thirty minutes or so.

--
Peter