Old October 12th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Default East River turning radius

How is this turn any different (at all) then a tight traffic pattern?

Based on what I've seen, that's how it should be handled. Flaps down,
Approach speed, stabalize... determine the winds, and make a nice
crisp, 20 degree-of-bank turn into them.

Hell, the 27L Left pattern at OAK is only 1800 feet wide (its 1800 feet
from the numbers to the United Hangar used as reference), I've seen
plenty of fast glass practicing on it with no problems (Including a
full Base Leg (90 degree turn base, level off, 90 degree turn final)).

This is a basic piloting skill.

Gary Drescher wrote:
NYC's East River is about 2000' wide. So when you approach the north
endpoint of the VFR corridor there, you need to make a U turn with a 1000'
radius (or less if you're not right next to the eastern shore when you start
the turn).

Suppose you're afraid to fly too slowly because you don't want to stall
during the turn, so you cruise up the river at 90 knots. Suppose you're
afraid to bank too steeply because you don't want to stall during the turn,
so you use just a 30-degree bank.

Oops: your turning radius is about 1200'.

Using the East River VFR corridor requires planning the turn
carefully--especially since you need to leave an extra margin in case you
have to dodge high-density traffic there.

--Gary