Old February 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Otis Willie" wrote in message

World War II Flying 'Ace' Salutes Racial Progress, By Gerry J. Gilmore

(EXCERPT) American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Feb. 20, 2004 * Decorated World War II aviator and "Ace"
Lee Andrew Archer Jr., 84, says he dreamed of becoming a fighter pilot
at an early age.

The Yonkers, N.Y.-born veteran recalled reading comic books during his
boyhood that featured illustrated stories depicting World War I duels
in the skies between Germany's Baron von Richthofen and allied fliers.

"I wanted to be a pilot," Archer said at a Feb. 19 National Black
History Month commemoration ceremony at Veterans Affairs Department
headquarters, noting that watching planes take off and land at a small
airport near his family's summer home in Saratoga, N.Y., also whetted
his desire to fly.

A self-described natural competitor, Archer said he pledged to himself
back then that he, too, would one day battle America's enemies from
the cockpit of a fighter plane.

The steely-eyed African-American eventually realized his goal: he
became a member of the U.S. Army Air Corps' famed Tuskegee Airmen
during World War II. During the 169 combat missions he flew in the
European Theater, Archer was credited with downing five enemy
aircraft, earning him the coveted title of "Ace."

Toliver & Constable's "Fighter Aces of the USA" does not mention any Lee
Andrew Archer.