Old November 15th 05, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Getting [re]started in flying

Montblack wrote:
Any suggestions? Opinions?

Seriously though, you will need a 3rd class medical every 2 years. If you do
not pass your medical you are (currently) screwed. If you "choose" not to
renew your medical, you may still fly as a Sport Pilot in a Light-Sport
Aircraft (LSA). The medical question is #1 on your to-do list.

Again, you can NOT go in for your medical - not pass it, then decide to fly
as a Sport Pilot. However, as it is, you're Sport Pilot ready TODAY. Grab an
instructor...

Good advice up to a point. I wouldn't give up so quickly on the possibility of
him renewing his commercial license with another standard second or third class
medical. I went through the same thing myself this past spring, after a 15 year
layoff.

Call a FAA medical examiner and ask your questions. Be very specific about
everything but your name. If it sounds good to you, go in and get a flight
physical. If it sounds more negative, then follow the advice about becoming a
sport pilot.

I chose the former route and got a 3rd class physical. The next time I'm
seriously considering trying for a 2nd class if I can pass the thing.

Go out to the airport and sign up for a bienial with an experienced instructor.
Pick an aircraft you've flown a lot if you can. I took mine in a C-172. I was
signed off after my second session. It's like riding a bike if you flew enough
way back when. I had more trouble with the radios than anything else. GPS
didn't exist way back when.

After a few VFR trips, I signed up again with a very capable ATP/CFII to refresh
my instrument skills. I bought a refresher book and read it first, flew the
flight sim a few times at home to get my scan going again, then flew the sim at
the FBO twice to get my approaches, holds, airwork, etc. in and get signed off
for instruments.

Now the problem is going to be *keeping* the competency current given my
infrequent flying. Rather than bore holes in the sky, I prefer to use my flying
to get somewhere. I have to say flying was a lot cheaper back when I used to
get paid for doing it.

Anyway, shoot for a full return to flying if you can. Just don't give your name
until you're sure you'll qualify.