Old December 24th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Electrical issues question

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
.. .
I realize that lots of theories may exist, and trouble shooting is a crap
shoot from afar but I am wondering, what would cause a full discharge
indication when I put my landing light on.

Seems that when I put my avionic switch on, amps hold. If I put my nav
lights no strobe, slight discharge indication. Put my nave with strobes,
same load. Put my landing light on and amps show a full discharge.

Would it be my alternator can't take a full load?

Yup.
Most likely, either your alternator is, to use the technical term, broken.
Or, if it is belt driven, the belt is too loose.

The landing light circuit is a 30 amp circuit. Does that seem like a
rather large circuit for something as simple as a landing light?

Landing lights use a lot of electricity. That's why they are so bright. 30
amps sounds about right.

Hope to get a hold of my A&P on Tuesday to get this resolved, but hoping
for some wisdom from the group so I know what should be looked at.

Bummer being stuck on the ground 'till next week.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com