Old January 20th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Corvair conversion engines

Is there any good reason to use the Ford instead of the Buick V6?
There are a lot more Buick V6s out there. Also, there is a lot of
support from the aftermarket, hot rod and racing business for the Buick
engine and apparently none at all for the Ford V6.

I don't have personal experience. However, my fellow chapter members have
told me that the Ford V6 engine is considerably lighter as it comes in (or
from) a car.

That said, the aluminum heads and blocks alleged to be available should make
a lighter and stronger engine. BTW, the name "Bow Tie Racing" was
mentioned, but yielded no plausible result in my quick web search.

The only word of caution to which I can personally attest (from my younger
and crazier days) is to be *very* careful of racing and hot rodding parts
designed to give you oversized ports and manifolds. As you increase the
diameter of the passages, you also decrease the velocity of the gasses;
which will result in a very "cammy" high speed engine with poor pulling
power and a poor ability to turn a fixed pitch propeller.